Thursday, June 2, 2011

Unordinarily ordinary

Now that spring has skipped us finally arrived, I'm getting antsy with dinners. I'm tired of comfort food regulars and eager to try all the fresh veggies sprouting up*. So naturally this week, I did none of that.

We had pizza.

With pepperoni.

What I did do, however, was bring a little summer into my ordinary pizza. Seriously, the simplest change in the recipe and it was so tasty I can’t believe I’ve never done it before.

Grilled pizza, anyone?

Hubby was out mowing the lawn, and I was starving and wanted dinner done quickly. I decided to give it a shot, and at $0.99 for a ball of dough at Trader Joe’s, what’s the worst that could happen? Tony’s Pizza is right around the corner if the worst did happen.

I spread the dough out on a plastic platter, not knowing how this would pan out, the last way I wanted to ruin it was by dropping a heavy pizza stone in transport to the grill. Although my pizza started out with a semi-round shape, it certainly didn’t retain it.


I spritzed the dough with some olive oil and sprayed the grill grate with some Pam for Grilling, so nothing would stick. In less than 5 minutes over medium heat, I was able to flip the dough, as it had gotten stiff enough that flipping was a breeze with regular tongs. After I flipped the dough, I spooned some jarred sauce** (also Trader Joe’s) and spread it around. I topped it with sliced fresh mozzarella cheese and slices of pepperoni. Close the lid til the cheese melts and wa-la! 5 minutes later, pizza is done, house is cool, and lawn is mowed!


Ok, I can’t guarantee the lawn mowing part, but that’s how my Tuesday evening went.

*Although everything I love is finally coming into season, I'm having trouble getting motivated to cook new and original dishes. See, we've discovered that we're expecting an itty-bitty new family member in December, and what is planned for dinner often seems to go by the wayside when baby makes his or her desires for mac & cheese known. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for me?

**I've had a request to perfect homemade pizza sauce. I obviously haven't started my attempt yet. I have a feeling I'm going to be inundated with homegrown tomatoes this summer, so I will get on that as soon as the harvest begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment