Thursday, December 2, 2010

Tortilla Chicken Chili

A successful kitchen creation! I had defrosted a whole chicken that had been in the freezer for a few weeks and was looking for something non-Thanksgiving-y for dinner (since that's all I seem to be eating these days). I found a recipe for chicken tortilla chili, perfect for a windy rainy day that turned into a really cold night!

The recipe called for 1 small rotisserie chicken, but I have this handy dandy magic pot in which I can cook a whole chicken in the microwave in 30 minutes! So I stopped for some fresh cilantro on my way home, and I was ready to get started. I popped the chicken in the microwave, see? I have proof!
 Then I took the pooches for a walk, and came back and got organized.

 Before I knew it, my chicken was finished!

 So my onion, garlic, cilantro, cumin, soft tortilla crumbs, chicken stock, canned fire roasted tomatoes, and pinto beans simmered away as I picked apart my chicken (which I must say, is sooo much easier to do when the chicken is warm/hot than when it's cool/warm having just been carried from the store to home in the chilly night air)

 The liquid was just thick enough when I was ready to put the chicken and diced zucchini in the pot. Let the chicken get hot and the zucchini tender, and poof! Hubby walks in the door as if on que! Ok....take 2! poof! Dinner is served! (even to those who seem to have impeccable timing when there's something in it for them)

 I believe Hubby's exact words were: "mmm, smells really good in here!" and "how'd you cook the chicken? It's really tender." Magic my sweet. Magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment